'

Friday, July 30, 2010

Exhaustion!

Being new parents, we've had to adjust to a few things, and lack of sleep would be one of them. Since the beginning, she has been pretty consistent with her sleeping at night. She usually goes down anywhere between 7 and 8, then wakes for a snack around 11, then again at 3, and then is up between 7 and 8. We were happy about this, it allowed us enough sleep in the breaks to function.

Within the last couple weeks, things have changed. We still put her down around the same time but some nights she refuses to sleep. She cries, and cries, and cries her pretty little eyes out until she stops and you're sure she can't cry anymore...then cries so more! I dread putting her to bed at night now, it just isn't a good experience for either of us. She fights sleep when I know she wishes she was fast asleep in her crib, she cries when I know all she wants is to be dreaming, I am not sure what to do. A couple of times she has not gone down til midnight...that makes for a very long stretch of awake time.

And if that wasn't bad enough, she also wakes to snack at 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am and then is up for the day at 6. I need my sleep, I need it to keep my sanity, this isn't working. I am hoping she is going through the 4 month wakeful early? I really hope that is what it is, at least then that means there will be an end in sight.

Her naps during the day have dwindled as well. She used to be an awesome napper. I would place her in her swing when she started fussing, usually every 3-4 hours, then she would sleep in there for a good hour or two, sometimes three. It allowed me to get so much done around the house, prepare meals, have some 'me' time. Not so much now. Oh how I miss those days. Please tell me it gets better, I need it to get better.

When she hits 4 months, we will be doing some sleep training with her, but for now, I would just like her old sleep pattern back!

No comments: